traduzindo um livro sobre a bíblia, havia lá a menção a algumas rogue editions, isto é, edições com traduções bizarras ou erros de impressão que acabaram ficando famosas. hoje encontrei umas listagens mais completas, muito divertidas.
- The Wicked Bible 1631 Thou shalt commit adultery [Exodus 20:14]
- The Fool’s Bible 1634? The fool hath said in his heart there is a God [Psalm 14:1]
- The Unrighteous Bible 1653 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall inherit the Kingdom of God? (Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?) [I Corinthians 6:9] Neither yield ye your members as instruments of righteousness unto sin. (Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto) [Romans 6:13]
- The Judas Bible 1614 Then cometh Judas with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. [Matthew 26:36]
- The Sinners’ Bible 1716 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin on more, lest a worse thing come unto thee. [John 5:14]
- The Vinegar Bible 1717 The Parable of the Vinegar [chapter heading for Luke 13:6-9]
- The Forgotten Sins Bible 1638 Her sins, which are many, are forgotten [Luke 7:47]
- The Bishops’ Bible Third edition 1572 The incipits were elaborate decorations, left over from a printing of Ovid’s Metamorphoses. The beginning of Hebrews was illustrated with the seduction of Leda Zeus disguised as a swan.
- The Camel’s Bible 1823 And Rebekah arose, and her camels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man [Genesis 24:61 'damsels']
- The Standing Fishes Bible 1806 And it shall come to pass that the fishes shall stand upon it. [Ezekiel 47:10 'fishers']
- The Placemaker’s Bible (Geneva Bible, second edition) 1562 Blessed are the placemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9]
- The Bug Bibles 1535 (Miles Coverdale) and 1537 (Thomas Matthews) Thou shalt not nede to be afrayed for eny bugges by night [Psalm 91:5]
- The Printer’s Bible 1702 Printers have persecuted me without a cause (Psalm 119:161)
- The Breeches Bible (Geneva Bible) 1560 they sewed fig tree leaves together, and made themselves breeches [Genesis 3:7]
outros, ou alguns mesmos com mais explicações:
Em várias edições da Bíblia na Versão do Rei Jaime, alguns exemplos mais famosos receberam um nome correspondente. Entre eles estão:
- The Blasphemous Comma Several editions: Luke 23:32 reads "And there were also two other malefactors [crucified with Jesus]." It should have read "And there were also two other, malefactors."
- Judas Bible 1611: This Bible has Judas, not Jesus, saying "Sit ye here while I go yonder and pray." (Matthew 26:36)
- Printers Bible 1612: In some copies Psalm 119:161 reads "Printers have persecuted me without a cause" rather than "Princes have persecuted me..."
- Wicked Bible, Adulterous Bible or Sinner's Bible 1631: Barker and Lucas: Omits an important "not" from Exodus 20:14, making the seventh commandment read "Thou shalt commit adultery." The printers were fined £300 and most of the copies were recalled immediately. Only 11 copies are known to exist today.
- More Sea Bible 1641 "...the first heaven and the first earth were died and there was more sea" rather than "...the first heaven and the first earth were died and there was no more sea." (Revelation 21:1)
- Unrighteous Bible or Wicked Bible 1653: Cambridge Press: Another edition carrying this title omits a "not" before the word "inherit", making I Corinthians 6:9 read "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall inherit the kingdom of God?..." In addition, Romans 6:13 reads "Neither yield ye your members as instruments of righteousness into sin..." where it should read "unrighteousness".
- Sin On Bible 1716: John 8:11 reads "Go and sin on more" rather than "Go and sin no more".
- Vinegar Bible 1717: J. Baskett, Clarendon Press: The chapter heading for Luke 20 reads "The Parable of the Vinegar" instead of "The Parable of the Vineyard." One reviewer called this particular edition "a Baskett full of errors," what with its being replete with numerous other specimens of typographical errata throughout. One copy sold for $5,000 in 2008.
- The Fools Bible 1763: Psalm 14:1 reads "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God", rather than "...there is no God". The printers were fined three thousand pounds and all copies ordered destroyed.
- Denial Bible 1792: The name Philip is substituted for Peter as the apostle who would deny Jesus in Luke 22:34.
- Murderer's Bible 1801: "Murmurers" is printed as "murderers", making Jude 16 read: "These are murderers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage."
- Lions Bible 1804: 1 Kings 8:19 reads "thy son that shall come forth out of thy lions", rather than "loins". This edition had another error in Numbers 25:18 which read: "The murderer shall surely be put together" rather than "...put to death".
- To-remain Bible 1805: In Galatians 4:29 a proof-reader had written in "to remain" in the margin, as an answer to whether a comma should be deleted. The note inadvertently became part of the text, making the edition read "But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit to remain, even so it is now."
- Discharge Bible 1806: "Discharge" replaces "charge" making I Timothy 5:21 read "I discharge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality."
- Standing Fishes Bible 1806: "Fishes" replaced "fishers" making Ezekiel 47:10 read "And it shall come to pass, that the fishes shall stand upon it from Engedi even unto Eneglaim; they shall be a place to spread forth nets; their fish shall be according to their kinds, as the fish of the great sea, exceeding many."
- Idle Shepherd 1809: Zechariah 11:17 reads "the idle shepherd" rather than "idol shepherd".
- Ears To Ear Bible 1810: Edition which makes Matthew 13:43 read: "...Who has ears to ear, let him hear." The correct phrase should be "ears to hear".
- Wife-hater Bible 1810: "Wife" replaces "life" in this edition, making Luke 14:26 redundantly read "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own wife also, he cannot be my disciple."
- The Large Family Bible 1820: Isaiah 66:9 reads: "Shall I bring to birth and not cease to bring forth?" rather than "Shall I bring to birth and not cause to bring forth?".
- Rebecca's Camels Bible 1823: "Camels" replaces "damsels" in one instance, making Genesis 24:61 read "And Rebecca arose, and her camels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man: and the servant took Rebecca and went his way."
- Affinity Bible 1927: Contains a table of family affinities that includes the line "A man may not marry his grandmother's wife."
- Owl Bible 1944: "Owl" replaces "own", making 1 Peter 3:5 read, "For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." The error was caused by a printing plate with a damaged letter n.
- Monochrome Bible 1990s: A large American Bible publisher produced a new Red letter edition, bound in leather. A mistake was made in printing the Book of Timothy and the film plate containing the red letter text was omitted. Thousands of the misprinted bibles had to be destroyed.
e os nomes ficam muito engraçados! "A vírgula blasfema", "Bíblia do vinagre", "Pastor preguiçoso", "Os camelos de Rebeca"...